ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Here Come the Mummies Unmasked?

By David J. Spatz

Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 52 | Posted Oct. 26, 2011

Here Come the Mummies — and there goes one of my two cardinal rules for covering entertainment.

Ever since e-mail became the most expedient form of communication, I’ve made it a habit never to do e-mail interviews for one simple reason: There’s no way of knowing who is actually answering the e-mail.

It could be the celebrated artist I’m interested in profiling in my column but who, for whatever reason, doesn’t want to do a phone interview. But the answers could just as easily be coming from an anonymous publicist or even an unpaid intern working for donuts and college credits.

I’ve also avoided talking to the dead. If word got out that I regularly communicate with those on the other side, it could affect my journalistic credibility. Or quite possibly invite a lawsuit from John Edwards, the psychic medium who really does talk to those who have taken the big dirt nap. He might think I’m trying to steal work from him.

All of which brings us, in a round-about fashion, to this weekend’s Atlantic City debut of Here Come the Mummies, one of the best original funk and R&B bands you’ve never heard of. They’ll be performing during a costumes-optional Halloween party Saturday night, Oct. 29, in the Grand Exhibition Center at the Tropicana.

HCTM consists of 10 outrageously talented musicians who dress in mummy bandages from head to toe and whose birth names are as closely guarded a secret as the formula for Coca-Cola or Dolly Parton’s bra size.

Don’t bother trolling the Internet to discover their identities. I invested two hours of my life that I’ll never get back trying to uncover the mystery.

HCTM perform under cleverly humorous nome de crypts, like Java Mummy (it’s pronounced JAY-va), Eddie Mummy, Mummy Cass and my personal favorite, The Flu.

To promote their appearance, HCTM was willing to do an e-mail interview, which I turned down (see paragraphs two and three). I told Java, the group’s spokesmummy, that I wanted to do a phoner, which I could also use on my WOND radio show.

He informed me that mummies only speak when they’re playing their music, so they wouldn’t be able to do the phoner. I politely reminded the silent one that I wasn’t the one coming in to play a major casino venue in a market that had never heard of Here Come the Mummies. A day and time for the chat was quickly arranged.

Several days later, I dialed a number with a Nashville area code and was greeted by a growling Java Mummy. In the background I heard faint but funky guitar chords and a shaker-like rhythm; Mummy Cass and Eddie Mummy were sitting in on the conversation, adding their growls and moans of approval.

A 15-minute chat with the spokesmummy only raised more questions than it answered. Java stuck to the party line and gave no clues as to the true identities of the mummies. Even seemingly innocent questions elicited convoluted answers:

Page: 1 2 |Next
Add to favoritesAdd to Favorites PrintPrint Send to friendSend to Friend

COMMENTS

Comments 1 - 52 of 52

1. Anonymous said... on Oct 26, 2011 at 08:51PM

“I know who some of HCTM are, but some are VERY elusive. Going to see 'em the night before AC, at The Vogue in Indy.”

2. Anonymous said... on Oct 27, 2011 at 06:19AM

“Why? Why would you post that you know who some of them are?

Even if you do, to mention it to people is disrespectful to the band! They don't want people to know, so who said you get to boast about it?!?”

3. E&B said... on Oct 27, 2011 at 01:16PM

“Agreed!!! Even if you know who ALL of them are, it does not give you any credit over anyone else. As a matter of fact, by saying this in a public forum makes them want to further retract from people, FOR JUST THIS REASON. They want anonymity, and by ANYONE saying they KNOW some of them, it will have a negative effect on meet and greets. They are constantly doing meet & greets after the shows for virgins and vetrans alike BECAUSE they keep their privacy. So, for future virgins getting into the group....Their identity are HERE COME THE MUMMIES. That's who they are. Java, Oozie, Eddie, Spaz, Pole, Cass, KW Tut, Rah, Teste, The Flu, Midnight, and the list goes on.... THATS WHO THEY ARE. Nuff said. And their REAL identity is : Phenominal Musicians!!!”

4. Anonymous said... on Oct 28, 2011 at 07:03AM

“could Mummies be the new Vampires?”

5. Anonymous said... on Oct 30, 2011 at 01:03PM

“You spent two hours on the Internet and couldn't find a clue as to whom HCTM are? Perhaps you should hire me as your Internet researcher. I have music from many different "alter egos" of the players that I would never have found had I not searched successfully. They are extremely talented musicians. I once saw one of them at a venue "unwrapped" and wanted desperately to discuss his two CDs I had already purchased and the one in the mail but I refrained. Somethings you just don't do and violate their privacy is one of them.”

6. Anonymous said... on Nov 20, 2011 at 09:44AM

“I agree with anonymous #5. The identities of many of the mummies can be found if you are crafty when searching on the internet. I know the identities of five of them based on some searching, but as anonymous #2 said, what does that get you..nothing so I do respect their desire to remain as the characters they portray and the outrageous fabulous musicians they are that put on a show that should not be missed for any reason-period!”

7. Anonymous said... on Dec 1, 2011 at 08:27AM

“really people....let them play their music and entertain us. What is the big deal on knowing who they are. All we need to know is they are HCTM and they are awesome. 2 hours on the net trying to get their identites?????get a life.”

8. Anonymous said... on Feb 14, 2012 at 01:01PM

“The bass player is Paul Arntz. He also created their first website. I am still working on finding out if any of the other players from the Ned Zeppelin tribute band are linked to them.”

9. Anonymous said... on Feb 19, 2012 at 01:41PM

“Did you see on the HCTM site that there is a rumor Cass is leaving the band? Do you know anything about this?”

10. Anonymous said... on May 4, 2012 at 08:45PM

“The guy who created the first website is also professor Dumbluck from the first record. He also plays bass but not with the band. I've heard from a somewhat reliable source that "The Pole" is also the bass player for the Dennis Deyoung band. They have been playing more casino dates lately because of this connection. I've heard the keyboard player "Spaz" is the same guy that used to tour with The Funk Brothers.”

11. Yanko said... on Jun 5, 2012 at 02:57PM

“Andy Thompson, guitarist for "The Massacoustics" IS Mummy Cass. Have 3 of their CDs...brother Matt on bass & drums.”

12. Anonymous said... on Jun 6, 2012 at 08:35PM

“The Pole is not the bass player for Dennis Deyoung. His name is Craig Carter and hes a black dude. The Pole is a white guy so your "source" is WRONG!!”

13. Anonymous said... on Jun 7, 2012 at 01:32PM

“Some of the identities are fairly easy to find, but I've had a lot of trouble finding out who Java, Cass, Oozie, Teste Verde and a few others are. The easiest to I.d. Is Mummy Rah. I'm not going to put his nae on here out of respect for his incredible musical talent, but I will say that the name Rah is a ighint.”

14. Anonymous said... on Jun 15, 2012 at 03:16PM

“*yawn*”

15. Anonymous said... on Jul 28, 2012 at 07:57AM

“You guys are missing the point. These guys want the anonymity so let them have it... How many of you like magic tricks after you know how it's done... Keep the magic going.

There is another aspect as well. There was a really big rumor at one time with the Ohio Players that a girl actually was killed during the recording of Love Rollercoaster...you know...the big scream in the middle... Well they asked the Players why they didn't dispell the rumor...they said "hey, the mystery sells records and keeps people talking". I rest my case, because this whole blog is doing just that for HCTM. That's why I say, let them have their day! Best band I've ever heard live...hands down!”

16. Anonymous said... on Aug 9, 2012 at 03:31AM

“The fun is that they could be anyone. Why try to ruin that? Great band, totally entertaining. Maybe I know a few, maybe not. What does it matter? Buy a ticket and have a blast.”

17. Anonymous said... on Aug 18, 2012 at 04:53PM

“”

18. Anonymous said... on Aug 18, 2012 at 04:58PM

“Leave their identities hidden- if you're a fan of the Mummies, then you arent a fan of real names.”

19. Anonymous said... on Aug 29, 2012 at 04:37PM

“Matt Thompson is also the drummer for HCTM's. Chris West is Midnight Mummy, I think. If you were not looking for thier identities you wouldn't have found this web-page.”

20. Anonymous said... on Oct 16, 2012 at 05:49PM

“How do you find out the identities of the band members, specifically Mummy Rah?”

21. Anonymous said... on Oct 19, 2012 at 12:27PM

“One of the great secrets of the Mummies, isn't just their identities, it's the fact that they rotate the lineup depending on who is available. So even if you figure out who the bass player is for one night, that may not be who it is the next night. Nearly all of the positions are stacked two deep, at least.

And as somebody else says, if you're a fan of the Mummies, you aren't really into names. Leave these guys and their non-Mummy lives alone. I know who many of them are, and yes, they're great musicians but their HTCM music is so different from their other gigs, you really have to regard them as two different personalities, especially if you respect what they do as a band and want them to be successful. The mystery helps them sell records and tickets. If you figure out who any of them are, please keep it off the web.”

22. Anonymous said... on Oct 21, 2012 at 10:17PM

“Anonymous #20- to find Rah, just image search Nashville saxophonists". His face will turn up.”

23. Mitt Mummy said... on Nov 1, 2012 at 12:55PM

“Rahsaan Barber is the sax player”

24. JJMMWGDuPree said... on Nov 1, 2012 at 02:51PM

“Paul McCartney and Julian Lennon play sax, Miche Glennie is sometimes drums and sometimes percussion, Dweezil Zappa alternates bass with Bootsie, Carlos Santana alternates trumpet and trombone, Barrack Obama is on recorder, Chiang Kai-shek (Not that one) plays the electric teeth, Rom Mitney is the guitar ace, and on keyboards we have Stan and Ollie Marx. The guy on trumpet and ukulele is Elvis Presley (Yes, that one).

Now can we stop all the boasting and showing off before people start to realise that some of you guys are real wastes of space?”

25. Wisconsin Rabbit Lover said... on Nov 12, 2012 at 12:14AM

“This wisconsin rabbit lover, loves the pole and want to know if he is married? How many of the mummies are married and how do they know so much about good sex. OMG, I get horny listening to their songs but especially after a night at the concert. Talk about creme-ing our jeans, all for you Pole and maybe a couple of others-Hot music, hot dudes and hot lyrics-you silly boys! Musicians are always good in the sack because they have such strong and magical fingers from playing their instruments or our instruments so often!”

26. hakdog said... on Nov 14, 2012 at 09:22AM

“These guys are by far the best R&B/Funk band live on the planet. Maybe one day their identitys will be known but as of right now, Who gives a .....? Just saw them in Cincy and they are better than ever. If you get the chance, go see them!!!!!!!!”

27. Thatsawrap said... on Nov 24, 2012 at 09:57AM

“All of you that have posted their names should be real proud of yourselves!! You obviously missed your calling and could have been the next Columbo (secret....his real name is Peter Falk!!) Why don't you go to the mall this week and try to photo the true identity of the mall Santa!! I bet the kids are dying to know who its. Get a life! When I see the Mummies, which you all should do, I know that I am going to get a night of the greatest entertainment possible by a group of guys that put on an incredible show!! I don't go to see the man who plays Santa, I go to enjoy seeing the character Santa, and when I go to see the Mummies, which you all should do, I want to see Rah, Java, Cass, Eddie, Teste and the rest of the group. Those are the musicians that make HCTM the best show you will ever see! But for all the sleuth detectives out there......keep it a secret but Jim Carrey was the GRINCH!!!!!”

28. HoosierMummy said... on Nov 25, 2012 at 09:48PM

“To Wisconsin Rabbit Lover--I believe that Mr.The Pole is indeed single, though I don't personally know him. It's difficult to find most of their relationship statuses because they're not well known musicians out of costume but I do know for a fact that Oozie has a girlfriend as does Midnight. I believe Java and Rah are single.”

29. LegalLadyFl said... on Jan 10, 2013 at 02:16PM

“I was turned on to HCTM a few months ago. The first time I heard them I was blown away. I have been turning all my friends on to them and hope they have much continued and well deserved success. I live in South Florida. If you undead are reading this, PLEASE HEAD DOWN OUR WAY. Check out a local place called Tobacco Road. It's a jazz/blues r&b bar. The very first bar EVER in Miami and Al Capone's favorite speakeasy. C'mon down. We'll make you SO welcome!”

30. waitintohearincaly said... on Jan 16, 2013 at 07:07PM

“Ok, so I am petty. I want to see Ozzie Mummy again and hear him sing. No one knows who he is playing with now that he has left HCTM? Any ideas people?”

31. Anonymous said... on Feb 2, 2013 at 03:21AM

“Who really cares who they are..this is the second great band of session musicians and members of other bands to come out of Nashville. The first was Wayne Moss and Charlie MccCoy et al to form the sometime touring band "Barefoot Jerry". When I would get to see them play their cosmic country songs it didn't matter who they were but what they were playing. Unless you were a Nashville session guy or in the business, nobody knew who they were or cared..they just loved the alternative country sound.

I have all 6 of Barefoot Jerry's albums and intend own all of the Mummies albums and dvd's...for some day they may tire of touring/recording and there won't be anymore. Love and appreciate the Mummies for what they are, not who they are. Spend your time in amazement at their lyric genius and super tight arrangements and execution.”

32. Anonymous said... on Feb 12, 2013 at 05:42AM

“For those of you who felt the need to post names you must not be a fan at all. If you were you would respect their anonymity.if you know who they are keep it to yourself, as you are not i pressing anyone. Those who are real fan, especially those like myself that have been with them for many years get a little angry when people like some of you above just lay it all out there. For the ones that walk around outside by the bus at shows they have the hopes that those that may be out waiting for the doors to open would not call attention to them. Just let them be and enjoy them for who they are, as Mummies!”

33. Anonymous said... on Mar 6, 2013 at 02:01AM

“please just let them be the band known as HCTM,,,, don't try to take the mystery,sexiness and the brilliance out of the men behind the bandages. Yes some of us know who they are, but it's because we love and respect them that we keep silent and just enjoy the lusty songs they continue to play.... besides, what fun would it be in knowing who they All are?”

34. waitintohearincali said... on Mar 8, 2013 at 06:39PM

“Ok, I get that they want their anonymity, they play wonderful music. I want to hear Ozzie Mummy again, in what ever band he is playing in now or if he is out there goin single. I don't want to blow the cover off the rest of the band. But what to do? Where to look?”

35. Anonymous said... on Mar 12, 2013 at 12:46AM

“is the same cass that was on bob and tom a few years ago still the singer now?”

36. waitintohearincali said... on Mar 12, 2013 at 10:30AM

“I think so, the only band member that I know of that has left is Ozzie. Very distinctive voice and playing style, but I can't seem to find him in any local bands. I don't mind keep'in the lid on who the rest of the members are, I love the music, I just want to follow Ozzie's career also. Surely someone has heard him play somewhere?”

37. Anonymous said... on Apr 28, 2013 at 06:32PM

“Oozie (NOT Ozzie) is now with a band called Hot Action Cop. Check em out if you really are a fan.”

38. Anonymous said... on Apr 28, 2013 at 06:33PM

39. Anonymous said... on Apr 28, 2013 at 06:33PM

40. michaelmummy said... on May 3, 2013 at 11:58AM

“My son new most of them. He took lessons from one of them while living in Nashville. No way should they be unwrapped...I truly respect these guys. They are like Tower of Power on steroids.”

41. Anonymous said... on Jun 10, 2013 at 03:29AM

“Hot Action Cop? Really? Hmmph. Wish he stayed with HCTM.”

42. Wisconsin Rabbit Lover said... on Aug 3, 2013 at 01:40AM

“Anybody know if Java is married? He is the hardest to find information about and he is soooooooooooo sexy?”

43. Weiner Man said... on Aug 11, 2013 at 02:45AM

“Anyone can easy find out who the band are if they search the right place. It's just hard to believe they went from country to funk.”

44. Anonymous said... on Sep 8, 2013 at 01:16PM

“So where is the right place? Figured out two of them. I love these guys and would love to know their background...their talent is beyond amazing.”

45. g.c. from lincoln, ne said... on Oct 6, 2013 at 01:07PM

“i don't care who this talented group of dead guys are. l love them and can't get enough of them...I'd love to be able to hang and party with them. anyone i have introduced their music too has been overwhelmed by their talent also. you guys rock ~!~!~! on rating of 10 stars I'd give them a 100”

46. Anonymous said... on Oct 14, 2013 at 01:15PM

“I just wanted to say I saw the band Saturday night at immokalee casino. They were fantastic. So full of energy. Rocking the house. I don't care who they are. The main point is that work so well together. Keep it going I loved the show.”

47. 2soon said... on Oct 20, 2013 at 09:09AM

“Happy I saw their show. From the entrance to the encore .... we boogied, bounced, and enjoyed !! Talent, energy, tight band, and clever naughty bits.

These guys deserve to pop it in the bank, ie Blue Man Group model, whoever they are. Thanks!”

48. Incognito1948 said... on Oct 21, 2013 at 11:58AM

“It would be a shame for anyone to be so wreck less as to out any of the mummies...why - even if you really knew. Those of us who love them and their music want them to still play and write songs. Stop trying to find out who they are and enjoy them.”

49. Bob in PA said... on Dec 3, 2013 at 12:37PM

“As some have said, it's easy to find out if you know where to look. It also helps if you have an import CD with full credits (but no photos). Listing names is crass. The secrecy is for legal reasons. Exclusive contracts and such, I suspect. You know how the lawyers like to mess with the music business. (As an example, that is why it took so long for Live Aid to come out on DVD.) The only reason I looked up real names was to try to complete my collection of these great musicians. Got 15 right now. Anyone know if that is a complete-to-date number?”

50. first blush said... on Jun 14, 2014 at 12:21PM

“It's Friday the 13th & a full moon to boot. What a perfect nite to enjoy the mysterious Mummies here in the Quad Cities, IL. Fantastic!!! Keep the mystery & keep coming back. It's like a stage play, musical & great band all in one...& surprisingly so many of us knew all the words to alot of 'their' songs. We could all play a little make believe & have alot of funky fun!”

51. Kitty in AZ said... on Jun 27, 2014 at 06:01PM

“I just heard these guys on YouTube the other day and I was blown away, they are awesome! I wish that they would come to Phoenix AZ. I have player their music for my co workers and everyone was just as blown away as I was. I agree stop trying to find out who they are and just enjoy the music.”

52. JC said... on Jul 22, 2014 at 11:47PM

“These guys are by far the best R&B/Funk band I've ever heard!
They are like Tower of Power (only tighter) in drag... with a great, tongue-in-cheek sense of humor!!!
PLEASE come to Va Beach!”

Rate:
(HTML and URLs prohibited)