ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Interview: Boxing's Andre 'S.O.G' Ward

The winner of the big June 4 bout at Boardwalk Hall between Carl “The Cobra” Froch and Glen “The Road Warrior” Johnson will meet Andre Ward later this year.

Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 6 | Posted May. 23, 2011

Well it’s hard to say because sometimes I don’t even know what I’m going to do when I get in that ring. You know, being unpredictable has been a strength of mine, but I think when people see speed, athletism and skill, the first thing they want to do is call you just a boxer. I have never been a guy to float around the ring to avoid contact. I’m actually very aggressive, and have been very aggressive throughout my career. Obviously it has increased since I’ve been in these bigger fights, but I’ve always been a physical guy. I think people are just now getting to take notice of that though. I think I can do a little bit of everything against Froch and Johnson. I never want to put myself in a bag where I say I have to box twelve rounds or I’m going to lose. We’ve fought big punchers in Miranda, Kessler was a decent puncher, Abraham, Bika, and we showed that we can box and we can get physical. So being unpredictable and being able to make adjustments on the fly just makes it, in my mind, that I’m going to come away with the victory whether it’s Johnson or Froch.

You're definitely proving yourself to be a winner, but how important is it to you to be a crossover star? I only ask that because boxing seems to be one of the sports that the participants find it harder to be seen outside of boxing circles. How important is it for you to transcend boxing?

You know it’s always good to do things like that and transcend the sport, but I never got into this sport to be a star. I never got into this sport to blow up and things like that. I’ve dedicated most of my life to the sport and I respect the sport. That is why I prepare myself accordingly. All I can do is be myself inside and outside the ring. You know like I said before; there will be negative things written about you, but I can honestly say that I believe there will be at least two or three to one things that will be written that are positive. Whether it’s from my fans or people who just say, hey I respect you and I appreciate what you do with your attitude. It’s really hard to say.  At the end of the day all I can do is be true to God, who has given me this opportunity, platform, talent and gift. All I can do is be true to myself and be myself, then let the chips fall where they’re gonna fall.

I only ask that because, as of late, you’ve been referred to as the anti-Mayweather. You’re the nice, non-arrogant Mayweather if you will. That’s why I asked whether you wanted to be a star, because from my vantage point, Mayweather didn’t become a full fledged star in or out of the ring until he created the character. After “Money” Mayweather was born, people outside of boxing circles seem to take more notice of him – just probably not the way he may even want at this point.

It’s unfortunate, to be honest with you. It's unfortunate Floyd had to play the villain to get the attention. Me personally? I can’t speak for Floyd because that’s what he wanted to do, but Andre Ward is going to be Andre Ward at the end of the day. Who I am as a man, the way I represent myself, the way I represent God and the way I represent my family is way bigger than boxing. One day I am going to have to walk away from the sport, and the interviews that I have done and the way I have carried myself throughout my career are things that I want my kids to be proud of; I want my wife to be proud of; I want the people who support me, like my family, to be proud of. So who you are as a man is way bigger than boxing and what somebody writes about you. Like I mentioned earlier; I’m going to be true to my self, and if it’s not good enough to be a “crossover star,” then so be it. If it is then praise God, then we’re gonna keep it moving.

Froch (pictured at left) is the WBC champ while you have WBA laurels, but IBF champion Luceine Bute is also in the super middleweight mix. If you win the tournament, you just may be the holder of both the WBC/WBA belts. Since he wasn't a part of the tournament, would Bute be on your radar to totally separate the champions to just one undisputed champ? If so, then when?

How long is tough to say, but the willingness and the desire is most definitely there 100 percent.

Bernard Hopkins has expressed his interest in fighting the winner of the Super Six if he gets past his next fight with Pascal. Would you entertain a fight with Hopkins, even at a catch weight, especially if you had a chance to win the light heavyweight title at this young stage of your career?

I don’t think I’m willing to go up because [there's] still business to take care of here at 168 pounds. As I’ve told people, I don’t have a desire to fight Bernard Hopkins because I look at him as some what like a mentor. Now if it was something that the fans wanted, I am a fighter you know, and I would step up to the challenge. But at the end of the day, it’s not something that I’m looking for or chasing.

You've fought many of your bouts in California; but with names like Tyson, Mayweather and others having fought here, when are you going to showcase your talents here in Atlantic City?

Man I thought we were coming to Atlantic City for the last fight. That was one of the venues that was literally on the table and I told Dan Goossen to make it happen. I never fought there and I want to give the East Coast fans a fight out there. We would love to get exposed to that crowd, but unfortunately I can only do so much. I am looking forward to it though.

Will you be here for the Froch and Johnson bout on June 4?

Yes, I will.

Well I look forward to seeing you at ringside. Thanks for taking the time to talk to our readers. Good luck in the Super Six finals and beyond.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

The Super Six World Boxing Classic Semifinal, Froch vs. Johnson, comes to Boardwalk Hall on June 4, 2011. The event is brought to you by Dibella Entertainment, Warriors Boxing and Caesars Atlantic City. Tickets are priced at $300, $150, $100 and $50. For information on purchasing tickets click here.

Rob Scott has been working with boxing promoters and fighters, in the gyms and at ringside, for several years. His writing has appeared in several boxing publications and online.

Prev| Page: 1 2
Add to favoritesAdd to Favorites PrintPrint Send to friendSend to Friend

COMMENTS

Comments 1 - 6 of 6
Report Violation

1. D. Hampton said... on May 24, 2011 at 04:09PM

“Excellent article.”

Report Violation

2. L. Scott said... on May 24, 2011 at 04:32PM

“Well done babe.”

Report Violation

3. Christyle said... on May 24, 2011 at 07:33PM

“Great article!!! I ve been watching that tournament....very interesting indeed!!!”

Report Violation

4. Karen Elliott said... on May 26, 2011 at 10:03PM

“Very well done. This brought a lot of issues in the boxing world to perspective to me. Great job Mr. Scott.”

Report Violation

5. Joe Pasquale said... on May 27, 2011 at 11:20AM

“Atlantic City is one of the best fight towns in the world--glad to see this quality boxing coverage in your publication. One of the best interviews with a boxer, that I've read in a long time--Andre has way more going on, than the average fighter and you brought that out-- the interviewer loves the sport--
Thanks
J.Pasquale”

Report Violation

6. East Side what? said... on May 29, 2011 at 01:29AM

“Nice story on a great young man.”

Rate:
(HTML and URLs prohibited)

Return of the Jersey Boy
By Rob Scott

Atlantic City may have taken some lumps within the past few months, but the town’s boxing scene has been sticking, moving and rolling with the punches. On Saturday, Oct. 4, Bally’s Events Center keeps the pugilistic momentum going with another exciting evening at the fights.

RELATED: Boxing at Boardwalk Hall: Guillermo Rigondeaux vs. Joseph "King Kong" Agbeko A Talk with Philly Boxing Standout Gabriel Rosado

Il Capo & the Krusher
By Rob Scott

In the sport of boxing, fighters have nicknames and monikers that sometimes prove to be little more than delusions of grandeur. In the case of WBO light heavyweight champion Sergey “Krusher” Kovalev (24-0-1, 22 knockouts), his brand of fighting has given him that “you definitely get what’s advertised” reputation.

Hometown Hitter
By Rob Scott

The sweet science returns to Atlantic City on Saturday, April 12, when Peltz Boxing Promotions and Bally’s bring a competitive night of fights to the casino’s Grand Ballroom.

RELATED: Bergman, Howarth Guest Speakers @ ACFPL's ‘Pep Talk’ April 24

Interview with Deontay Wilder
By Rob Scott

In recent months, along with trainer and 1984 Olympic Gold medal winner and former world champion Mark Breland, Wilder’s reputation has been gaining momentum and notoriety, as he is being touted as a definite American heavyweight hopeful.

RELATED: Atlantic City Boxing Gala
 Resorts Hosts All Star Boxing Legends Gala Interview with Boxer Paul “The Punisher” Williams and Trainer George Peterson Interview with Boxing Trainer Ronnie Shields and Manager Luis DeCubas

All-Star Boxing Legends Gala Returns to Resorts
By Rob Scott

We have so many honorees this year — Iran Barkley, Marlon Starling, IBF President Daryl Peoples, Jackie Kallen, Ivan Robinson, Chuck Wepner, Cedric Kushner, Randy Neumann, Keith Holmes, William Joppy, and so many more.

RELATED: Tyson’s ‘Truth’ —  Mike Tyson Returns to Atlantic City, on Stage. Wintertime in the Atlantic City Showrooms Boxing Trainer Ronnie Shields and Manager Luis DeCubas Interview Hall of Pain A Celebrity Punch Fists of Fury

Hopkins Vs. Dawson: The Rematch

By Rob Scott

The rematch this Saturday (April 28) in Atlantic City is being called “Hopkins vs. Dawson — Once and for all,” because after six months of ...

RELATED: Hopkins-Kovalev Nov. 8 @ Boardwalk Hall Bernard Hopkins Defends Title in Atlantic City Talking Boxing with IBF Light Heavyweight Champion Bernard ‘The Executioner’ Hopkins Philly Legend Looks to End Young German's Title Hopes

Atlantic City to Honor Those Who Made City a Boxing Mecca
By Rob Scott

"On Saturday, June 2, we're going to have an all-star boxing legends tribute. What we're trying to do is get together all of the boxing personalities. Whether they are boxers, managers, promoters, ring announcers, referees, you name it, we're trying to get together everybody to celebrate the contribution that they have made in making Atlantic City the boxing mecca that it is."

RELATED: Atlantic City Multi-Cultural Heritage Festival
 Atlantic City History - Conversations & Storytelling: Sports History in A.C., Pt. 1 Remembering Leavander Johnson The Russian Is Coming Big Boardwalk Bout A Few Good Sports Moments Cover Story Gone But Never Forgotten Snooki Gets Into Fight … Game Fight to the Finish: Showtime Super Six Classic Interview: Carl Froch Punching Power Man Behind the Punches Heavyweights With Punch Pulling Punches?

Boxing Returns to Tropicana
By Ray Schweibert

Diane Fischer of Dee Lee Promotions will be hosting, in association with the Tropicana Casino & Resort, a nine-bout boxing card Saturday, Feb. 4, in the Trop Showroom. The first bout is slated to start 8pm

RELATED: Photos - Broner-DeMarco Fight at Boardwalk Hall
 Basin Battle Is Back in Atlantic City

Fight to the Finish: Showtime Super Six Classic Interview: Andre Ward
By Jeff Schwachter, Rob Scott

"My father raised me to always be confident, but always humble. I’m far from a pushover, and always firm, but there is no need to go around tooting your own horn for every little thing you do. I believe in the abilities God has blessed me with, and I believe I’m one of the fiercest competitors in the sport of boxing and that’s enough for me."

RELATED: Andre Ward vs. Carl Froch Bout Reset for Dec. 17

Super Six Classic Finals: Andre Ward vs. Carl Froch
By Rob Scott

Carl Froch: "I will hit Ward very hard and very often; he’s not going to be able to take my consistent heavy shots which will be coming for 12 rounds if necessary."

Fight to the Finish: Showtime Super Six Classic Interview: Mikkel Kessler
By Jeff Schwachter, Rob Scott

Day Two - Interview with fighter Mikkel Kessler, who was forced to end his bid for the Super Six Classic Cup because of an injury, but not before handing finalist Carl Froch a defeat he’ll never forget.

Fight to the Finish: Showtime Super Six Classic Finals Interviews
By Jeff Schwachter

Day One: Germany's Arthur Abraham on the Carl Froch vs. Andre Ward Super Six Classic Finals showdown.

Preview: Sergio Martinez vs. Darren Barker in Atlantic City
By Rob Scott

Unfortunately for Martinez, instead of having a windfall of competitors beating down his door, he has become one of boxing’s most avoided fighters.

RELATED: Pavlik Loses, Gatti Honored in Atlantic City Punch-Drunk Love: 'The Fighter'

Related Content

Atlantic City Turns Up the Boxing Heat!
By Rob Scott

A comprehensive schedule of upcoming fights in Atlantic City with all the details on every fighter stepping into the ring. Upcoming boxing events include Joe Deguardia's Star Boxing, Yuriorkis Gamboa vs. Jorge Solis, Sergio Martinez against Darren Barker, and the Super Six World Boxing Classic.

RELATED: The Problem Is Back Jay-Z, Kanye West Coming to Boardwalk Hall — Plus What Happened When Lady Gaga and Britney Spears Hung Out There on Aug. 6?

Interview with Glen 'The Road Warrior' Johnson
By Rob Scott

In an exclusive interview for acweekly.com, Glen “The Road Warrior” Johnson opens up about a variety of subjects — from his thoughts on The Super Six Tournament, Carl Froch, Bernard Hopkins, as well as the fans.

RELATED: In Gatti's Corner Gatti Faces Retirement House of Gatti Gatti's Return

Rodeo Event Roundup
By Lori Hoffman

When the rodeo comes to Atlantic City this weekend, there will be a citywide celebration beyond the three days of rodeo action at Boardwalk Hall.

RELATED: Rodeo Revolution
 Atlantic City Rodeo Becoming Largest of Its Kind on East Coast Make Waves for the Atlantic City Boat Show!
 News Alert! Bull at The Quarter at Tropicana Oak Ridge Boys at Caesars HOLY BUCKING COWS!

Featherweight Fury at Boardwalk Hall
By Michael Pritchard

The main bout of the evening is a matchup between WBA and IBF featherweight champion Yuriorkis Gamboa of Miami, Fla., against interim featherweight champion Jorge Solis.

RELATED: Micky Ward’s Atlantic City Legacy More than Gatti Fights