ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT > CURTAIN CALL

Jackie Evancho’s Ovation Debut

By David Spatz
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 26 | Posted Feb. 14, 2013

Some actors spend a lifetime searching without success for that one break that will catapult them onto a Broadway stage.

In just the last couple of years, Jackie Evancho has made a habit out of turning down such golden career opportunities.

Nothing personal, said the pre-teen singing prodigy whose angelic, classical-crossover voice stunned both the audience and the judges on the 2010 season of the NBC talent showcase America’s Got Talent. She just doesn’t feel like changing the way she sings.

During an October chat with public television station WQED in her hometown of Pittsburgh, Evancho said she’s not interested in the legitimate stage if it means having to sing “differently,” or in the time-honored tradition of “belting” out Broadway show tunes.

That’s not the sound that brought her to the dance and propelled her to a second-place finish on AGT and also lifted her from complete anonymity to concert hall headliner in less than a year. Best of all, Evancho’s heavenly voice — AGT judge Piers Morgan wondered aloud on the show if she was 30, not 10 — “has matured a lot” in the 30 months since she first appeared on the TV series, she told the Star-Ledger of Newark last June.

Home-schooled by her mother and taking classes online when she isn’t performing, Evancho, who turns 13 in April, is back on the road now touring major venues in support of her fourth album, Songs From the Silver Screen. Her road trip stops at Revel’s Ovation Hall on Saturday, Feb. 16, for a one-night stand, where she’ll become the youngest headliner ever to fly solo on the Boardwalk during the casino era.

Evancho understands she must make sacrifices in order to indulge her passion for singing, and one of them is the ability to attend public junior high school while simultaneously trying to juggle an adult career.

“I miss my friends in public school but it’s kind of a part of something that you have to give up,” Evancho said. “I’d rather perform than go to public school.”

Ever since she began performing publicly, her parents — Mike and Lisa Evancho— have been abundantly careful to make sure their preciously talented daughter is doing what she wants to do and to make sure everyone understands Jackie is making the decisions, not her parents, managers or agents.

Page: 1 2 |Next
Add to favoritesAdd to Favorites PrintPrint Send to friendSend to Friend

COMMENTS

Comments 1 - 26 of 26

1. vaneis said... on Feb 14, 2013 at 12:47PM

“very good text she is successful and will continue to do more voice of an angel”

2. OldGoat34 said... on Feb 14, 2013 at 01:12PM

“I think the Evancho's Mike and Lisa have it right in they are letting Jackie decide what she wants to do and Jackie is a smart cookie she's making the right decisions so far for herself with her parents guidance.”

3. Anonymous said... on Feb 14, 2013 at 04:07PM

“Evancho already headlined a concert at Trump Taj Mahal casino in December 2011. This is her second solo concert on the Boardwalk”

4. Kyle Robertts said... on Feb 15, 2013 at 03:12AM

“I've seen her perform live in Las Vegas about a year and a half ago-and you can tell she just loves what's she doing, and that is performing-she eats it up!. You just really have to see her perform live-she is just that good- a very riveting performer to say the least. Miss Jackie Evancho always has a smile on her face and a sparkle in her eyes-and so warm and beautiful to look at to boot! You can tell she just loves what she is doing. Jackie Evancho is so appreciative that people love her singing. Let me tell ya-when she is working the stage-she really does own it-don't let her age fool you! When that young lady is out there performing-Miss Jackie is not a typical 12 or soon to be teenager-that young lady is a debonaire entertainer & stage performer esp. when she interacts with her audience. We fans are enjoying the ride along with her. If you have a chance to see her perform live your area of the country--don't miss the chance to attend one of her mesmerizing performances...”

5. Patrick said... on Feb 15, 2013 at 07:18PM

“I wish her all the best and it's true she has An amazing voice. I am always very suspicious when it comes to home schooled kids though, she might be missing out on normal teenage stuff and might regret it later..if she is genuinely talented then couldn't she wait a few years?”

6. Steven Carter said... on Feb 16, 2013 at 01:14AM

“When you hear and see Jackie perform for the very first time you feel as though you've been transported to some very special place - heaven. Jackie has with out a doubt the kind of voice and stage presence that wraps her audience in a blanket of love and unbounded joy. I've never in my almost 70 years ever experienced anything like it. Jackie is an ambassador assigned to this planet to help us all move towards salvation and belief. Belief that miracles do happen and that Jackie is the embodies proof of that. If Jackie is scheduled to perform anywhere near you go see her, she will forever change your life. She did mine and even more so after seeing her a second. Will I go again? Every year if I can.”

7. peacemaker said... on Feb 18, 2013 at 01:16AM

“Jackie is talented and can catch up with her studies and finish High School with flying color. She is doing cyber class,except when she is not busy,she can be in class. Like normal class attending lecture and assignment. 12 yrs before attending college here in the State is like adv. college level in other 3rd world countries. Specially if student are serious with their learning.They also promoted student with high IQ,to graduate ahead. Jackie will be fine to fallow her dream. So far she earned more than 21 yrs graduate professor, in her life time. She is bless and full of talent. We have lots, studying voice lesson for years and never have opportunity to be famous. Go Jackie and fallow your dream! God will guide your way my child.”

8. Birch said... on Feb 20, 2013 at 07:47PM

Some people think that she should wait to perform so won't she won't miss out on sitting on the couch watching tv, texting school gossip with her friends, shopping in the malls, qualifying for a menial job after high school, that is a better alternative than traveling around the world, meeting famous people, finding an outlet for her extreme talent, supporting world causes that benefit everyone? And making big money! The opportunities that arise for her are one in a lifetime opportunities and the traIn won't come by again. Get real!!!”

9. Anonymous said... on Feb 23, 2013 at 04:02PM

“Jackie is an incredible talent and her voice is a gift from God.
I think it is wonderful that her parents home school her. The person who said that she would be missing out being home schooled, does she look like she's missing out on anything? I would say she's way ahead, thank God her parents are more concerned about her morals then just making money.
Holllywood has not had a great track record when it comes to children.”

10. Anonymous said... on Feb 28, 2013 at 08:44AM

“Does any reasonably intelligent adult believe Jackie is making her own decisions? She is signed to the 2nd largest record label in the world, who have advanced $$$ millions to support her career. She dresses, behaves and sings in line with the direction her managers want her to. She and her parents are certainly listened to, but the decisions rest in the hands of the employer, Sony.

It just is so annoying when a blogger tries to spread this misleading mush and that it may be read by other young talent, who will think this is the way it works. It is not.”

11. Anonymous said... on Feb 28, 2013 at 02:03PM

“Jackie, I oil paint as a hobby and am always playing music to keep my emotions in check or to do the opposite - to bring them out. I just love your voice, song choices, and presentations. Of all the CD's I have, yours is one I play most often (honest). You are so inspiring for so many reasons. Thank you, for sharing your gift. I will continue to pray for your future; may you come to know God's immense love and precious gift in Christ Jesus given for you. Amen.”

12. lorenzo said... on Mar 1, 2013 at 10:33PM

“I'm enjoying the ride, what a view. I never want it to be over. I'm not getting off. I want it to just keep going. USA (you sound awsome).”

13. Anonymous said... on Mar 4, 2013 at 01:41PM

“I have five grandchildren who have been homeschooled and I can say that none of them have sufferd . at first i was concernd about their social skills but that never happend. all I can say is thank you jackie for comming in my lifetime. I am now 86 years old and praying that I live long enough to see her turn 18”

14. Anonymous said... on Mar 12, 2013 at 03:32PM

“I am a 70 year old man and love all kinds of music and I have seen them all and heard them all. I have never seen nor heard anything like Jackie Evancho. she is incredible.”

15. Ben said... on Mar 17, 2013 at 01:11PM

“She is a gift from God. Please protect her.”

16. old aussie said... on Mar 19, 2013 at 08:16AM

“I am 76yrs old with one foot in the grave and the other on a banana skin. Thank you for bringing music back to my life, when you sing the world is a better place for us all.”

17. nancy batobalani said... on Mar 27, 2013 at 10:55PM

“I am a widow with a 26 years old son. I'll be 62 this coming April 6. I really love her voice. Me & my officemates loves to listen to her wonderful voice & cute smile specially when she sings. It may be impossible but we just wish she could be in the Philippines particularly in Cagayan de Oro City.”

18. Anonymous said... on Mar 28, 2013 at 05:30AM

“I am 65 years old. Never heard such a voice from a 10-13 years old girl.
It really sounds unreal.
Sorry to say, her parents do a big mistake by letting her decide to do what she loves. Can she really dicide what is good for her.
The big success and big money she makes can wait a while.
In the past we witnessed big stars falling and disappearing very fast.
It will be a big loss if she will go the same way.

19. Anonymous said... on Mar 29, 2013 at 03:41PM

“To all those who say she should wait, tell that to the people whose lives have been changed by her angelic voice. Her talent is a gift from God. To put it on a shelf for some later date is insane. Can anyone predict the future? No one knows what tomorrow will bring. I may not be here tomorrow; you may not be here tomorrow; Jackie may not be here tomorrow. How long should she wait? 21? 25? What will her voice be like at that age? Does anyone really know? Her voice has already changed since AGT. Incredible gift! But you're right! Let's keep it under a bushel basket.”

20. Kathy Mateja said... on Apr 5, 2013 at 06:41PM

“I just love Jackie. I love her voice and talent. God Bless her and her parents for letting Jackie follow her dreams, she has great guidance. Jackie, I'm a ballroom dancer, and I love the way you sing, MUSIC OF THE NIGHT. In June I will be doing a dance routine to that music with you singing in the background. It will put tears in peoples eyes. I does to us when we are dancing it. Good Luck Jackie and God bless you.”

21. Carroll Gregory said... on Apr 7, 2013 at 04:38PM

“Beautiful girl with a beautiful voice. More power to you!”

22. Anonymous said... on Apr 9, 2013 at 12:03AM

“Happy Birthday Jackie! You get the sense from watching her that she's under the direct protection of God himself. She's walking into a lions den and nothing can touch her. Like God went to Satan and said "Not this one. Leave her alone!" If anyone can traverse the entertainment industry as a child and come out the other side unscathed, it will be this one!”

23. Anonymous said... on Apr 10, 2013 at 06:34AM

“Jackie Evancho is in such demand,she could pick any label she wanted.Jackie and her parents control what they will and will not do.She can sell her talent,when and where she wants to.Labels need her,more than she needs them.I truely believe she is driven by performing over money.Keep doing what your doing Jackie.This is your life.”

24. norman mckenzie said... on Apr 13, 2013 at 09:57PM

“i have got both the dvds that jackie has released and i play and watch them every day,,,,,i love listening to this cute as can be liittle girl and i hope she releases a dvd every year so that people like me a 73 year old pensioner can watch her grow and be succesful al of her life”

25. Madison hayes said... on Apr 27, 2013 at 02:13PM

“What is your phone number

26. WestSeaDoc said... on Jul 8, 2013 at 08:02PM

“I'm sure Jackie is "choosing" her own path with heavy guidance from her parents. They are too good a set of parents to let a teen have carte blanche in her life choices. As precocious as is Jackie, she is still a teen and has yet to develop the brain cortical regions adequately to make totally solitary decisions that are wise. Lisa and Mike, would (IMHO) NEVER abdicate their primary duties as parents to allow any TEEN the last word in all life decisions.”

Rate:
(HTML and URLs prohibited)