Over the last several years, there’s been a return to ’80s glam fashion on the runways, and this season more than ever before, ruffles and frills have re-emerged onto the fashion scene, making a comeback in a major way.
For many of us gals, when we think of ruffles, we envision the party dresses mom would style us in at age 5 for that birthday tea party with our American Girl dolls in tow. But top contemporary fashion designers from Marc Jacobs to Michael Kors have embraced this childhood-inspired, ultra-feminine “ladylike” trend with over-the-top ruffles and structured pieces with dramatic flounce and layered frills.
The methodical pleasure that comes from a rousing game of bingo and the sharply contoured pi…
For the everyday gal, the secret to pulling off flounce and frills in a wearable way — and look like a fashionista and not a 5-year-old — lies in the styling. Done right, this trend can have the same eye-catching appeal of a statement necklace and earrings or a great pair of shoes.
Summer is the perfect season to embrace this ladylike trend and when the style is combined with another popular trend — the cold-shoulder — the pairing makes for a super feminine, flirty and effortlessly chic look, day or night. Embracing this contemporary trend by adding a few pieces into your closet is must-do for the season, as it adds a bit of casual glam and fun into your closet/wardrobe. Whether you choose a floral full-length dress, an off-the-shoulder top with ripped denim or opt to incorporate a little flounce into your Friday at the office, the good news is there are many ways to rock this trend.
Here are five easy ways to ruffle:
1. Paired with distressed, ripped denim: This is a favorite way to rock ruffles and flounce, as the contrast between rugged and feminine is the ultimate cool-girl look. A great satin top like this from Forever 21 makes for a fabulous date-night look, paired with a great pair of stilettos and ripped jeans.
Top | Forever 21 | Tanger Outlets The Walk, Tanger Outlets The Walk, 2014 Baltic Ave., A.C.; TangerOutlet.com | $15.90
2. Stripes: A great striped top or skirt with ruffles is always a “shore” bet for summer, paired with white straight-leg denim or shorts. This adorable top from Forever 21 is perfect for weekends seaside.
White and blue ruffled top | Forever 21 | Tanger Outlets The Walk | $19.90
3. The full-length dress: If you’re someone who prefers to stick to a sleek silhouette, when it comes to garments, full-length skirting with a bit of frill and flounce is the way to go. Opt for a bright, bold color for summer or an eye-catching floral pattern.
Rosalyn Maxi Dress in Black Floral Print | GUESS, Tanger Outlets The Walk | $54.99
4. Cold-shouldering: Another big trend for Spring 2017 is often dubbed the “cold-shoulder.” Tops and dresses with loose sleeves and cut-outs to boast bare shoulders are all the rage right now, in addition to the always timeless off-the-shoulder look. The contrast of layered ruffles against bare shoulders makes for an effortlessly, sophisticated statement, whether you are spending an afternoon at the beach, a graduation party and or a lovely evening out.
Griselda Maxi Dress |GUESS | $49.99
5. The ruffled romper: Nothing beats a great romper for summer as they are stylishly comfy and casual, while at the same time, make you feel pulled together.
Romper: Xhiliration by Target | Target, 380 Consumer Square, Mays Landing; Target.com | $24.99