NEWS & VIEWS

Ask The Geator

By Jerry Blavat
Add Comment Add Comment | Comments: 32 | Posted Sep. 28, 2006

Once again, greetings and salutations. Would you believe, the first full week of fall? And it's a ball. Seasons come, seasons go, but the Geator still goes on with the show. And this weekend it's our annual Baby Boomers Rock & Roll Revival at La Costa in Sea Isle City -- see you there. Now, let's ask the Geator.

This week we've got two questions about the Steel Pier -- but first I've got a trivia question for you. Tom Terrific and his sidekick, Mighty Manfred the Wonder Dog, were characters on what kids' TV show from the '50s?

a) The Howdy Doody Show

b) The Shari Lewis Show

c) Circus Boy

d) Rootie Kazootie

e) Captain Kangaroo

How's that for a baby boomer memory? Answer at the end of the column.

Summertime on the Pier host Ed Hurst had co-hosts in the mid-'60s: Do you remember Eddie Nixon and Bobby? I was the sound engineer for Eddie at the main ballroom during his dance shows. Those were "danceaholic days"! -- Chez Vous Bobby

When you talk about the Nixon brothers, they originally were dancers who followed the Geator. Before I developed my own TV show, I was the original co-host with Ed Hurst on Summertime at the Pier and also when he did his show from Aquarama. Interesting enough, when I was signed by WCAU-TV, I suggested to Ed that he fill the void by having Eddie and Bobby do guest segments on his show. So I certainly remember Bobby and Eddie and was glad that I was able to give them a shot on TV.

In my youth I had a picture taken at the Steel Pier with a guy named Charlie Applewhite. Do you know of him and whatever happened to him?

-- Betty Kane

Wow! Now there's a name. Charlie Applewhite was a baritone singer who had several hits in the early '50s ("Cabbages and Kings," "This Is You," "No One but You"). You might remember him as a frequent guest on Milton Berle's TV show, where he once appeared with Sammy Davis Jr. back when Sammy was still with the Will Mastin Trio. Both he and Sammy recorded for the Decca label. Sadly, Charlie, who was living in a Texas nursing home, passed away in 2001 at age 68 after suffering a stroke.

A long time ago you played a song that I have never forgotten. The lyrics were about a man smoking a cigarette and dreaming about a little cottage where he could live happily with his loved one. I remember the line, "We could watch the smoke rings curl." Can you identify this song for me?

-- Joanne Glickman

Page: 1 2 |Next
Add to favoritesAdd to Favorites PrintPrint Send to friendSend to Friend

COMMENTS

Comments 1 - 32 of 32

1. Anonymous said... on Jan 14, 2010 at 07:21AM

“WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO EDDIE NIXON AND HIS GIRL FRIEND”

2. Anonymous said... on Sep 11, 2010 at 10:08PM

“Eddie and Donna went their seperate ways.”

3. Anonymous said... on Dec 8, 2010 at 05:54PM

“I'm sorry to say that after many years of illness, Eddie Nixon passed away on December 3, 2010. He was a part of our family for the last 22 years and is finally at peace.”

4. w horn said... on Dec 17, 2010 at 01:34PM

“who was the female co-host with ed hurst of summertime at the pier it was micky what?”

5. w horn said... on Dec 17, 2010 at 01:39PM

“I FOUND IT ED HURST CO--HOST WAS MICKI MARLO”

6. Anonymous said... on Dec 31, 2010 at 09:20PM

“We read the comment about Eddie Nixon's passing and would like to send our deepest condolences to his girlfriend Sue. We remember Sue when she worked on stage with Eddie back in the 70's. Eddie was a great dancer and he will be sadly missed. We danced with with him at Wagner's, Aquarama and the Steel Pier. We have very fond memories of those times. Does anyone know how to get in touch with Sue?”

7. DIANE said... on Jan 1, 2011 at 02:31PM

“My friend told me she read about Eddie Nixon's passing last night it is so sad. We were wondering why we have not seen Eddie and his girlfriend Sue in a while. They use to frequent a local restaurant that my friends and I go to all the time on 42 for lunch. We last saw them I think it was in November, I am very sorry to hear of Eddie's passing. My heart goes out to Sue they were a great couple we will miss enjoying their company they were a lot of fun.”

8. Nancy from Oreland said... on Jan 8, 2011 at 05:36PM

“Having spent a great amount of time dancing with Eddie and Bobby Nixon at Chez Vous and Wagner's, I am very saddened to hear of Eddie's passing, and sorry that he had not been well for a long time. I don't know that I remember Sue from those venues, but my heart goes out to her and her family, as well as to his brother and other family members. My sincere sympathy. I have fond, fond memories of Wagner's and Chez Vous and the Nixon brothers.”

9. Sue said... on Jan 11, 2011 at 07:00PM

“I want extend my sincere thanks to everyone for their kind words regarding my boyfriend Eddie Nixon. So many people have shared their memories of Eddie with me it has been very comforting and warms my heart. Eddie was a very special guy and will always hold a very special place in my heart. I love him and miss him everyday, it makes it a little easier when I hear such kind things about him. Again, thank you so very much for the kind words and memories.”

10. dors said... on Feb 11, 2011 at 09:04AM

“I met eddie at a dance in clementon nj that he was appearing at as a guest host. I was only 14 yrs old and of course it was a dream come true to meet eddie nixon. now being the awesome dancer that he was he was always looking for a new dance step or style and it just so happened that me and a few of my girlfriends had a very fancy line dance that eddie just loved. he asked us to be on his dance show show the eddie nixon show that was televised somewhere in pa. i remember my dad driving all of us there, i remember going in the back door to a small studio that was packed with teenagers ready to dance. when eddie announced who we were and we got to dance on camera in front of the millions that watched his show it was the best day of my life. and i thank hime for that..what a nice guy he was. my thoughts and prayers go out to his girlfriend sue and to his family..”

11. Anonymous said... on Feb 24, 2011 at 03:27PM

“was sues' last name McDowell from the woobury,nj area?”

12. Anonymous said... on Feb 27, 2011 at 12:17AM

“I was a close friend of Eddie's back in the '80's during the time he first became ill. He tried so hard not to let it get him down, doing his best to work his gigs and spend time with friends and family. Though after 2 years we went our separate ways, I always have had very good memories of dancing and just spending time with him. My deepest condolences go out to Sue and the rest of Eddie's family.”

13. Sue said... on Mar 4, 2011 at 01:19PM

“Thank you for the kind words and sentiments regarding Eddie they are very deeply appreciated. I am so happy that so many have wonderful memories of Eddie he is sadly missed. He fought a brave fight with his illness he tried so hard not to let it get him down. We enjoyed our time down the shore and spending time with friends at our favorite place for lunch. Eddie was an amazing man he was kind and loving and was deeply loved. Again, thank you for such kind words and memories. Irene thank you for sharing memories.”

14. dianne said... on Mar 24, 2011 at 12:05PM

“my heart is heavy. i met eddie in 1968 at starlite ballroom'we spent lots of good times together in 68 and 69.and rideing in his red sports car. eddie always seemed bigger than life to me and will always have a space in my heart. he was a great guy!”

15. Anonymous said... on Feb 16, 2012 at 06:53PM

“Hello Sue,
I read your comments regarding Eddie Nixon. It's hard to believe that you were supposedly this close to Eddie when I know for a fact that he was taken care of by someone else for the 22 years before he passed. You weren't there all the times that he fell, had to go the hospital, and numerous other medical problems. So riddle me this How can you claim that he was your boyfriend when I know differently? I'm not saying that I'm glad to see him dead, but he is better off where he is and not being able to read your book of lies.”

16. Tasha said... on Feb 28, 2012 at 12:37AM

“What type of individual would leave a comment like the one above from "Anonymous"? It is very disrespectful, and Anonymous knows it is, that's is why they didn't use their real name.
This is a page where people are leaving wonderful memories about someone they are just finding out has passed.
People are free to remember someone how ever they like. To Sue, Dianne, Dors, Eddie's family and anyone else remembering him fondly, I am very sorry for your loss.
More importantly I look forward to the moderator of this page to take down the rude and insensitive post that is before mine.”

17. Sue said... on Mar 1, 2012 at 11:47AM

“Tasha thank you for your kind comments. Obviously "Anonymous" is a very misinformed individual and obviously very jealous. "Anonymous" I am sorry you that you feel you need to make rude comments about someone's passing. You obviously are a very angry person. I will pray for you.”

18. Mike said... on Mar 1, 2012 at 01:47PM

“Dear Sue,
I'm not anonymous. Eddie was a part of my family for over 22 years. He lived with Sister who cared for him and loved him and he loved her too, He was always at my house for every holiday. We miss him very much and I don't need you to pray for me. You sre the one who is lying.
Mike”

19. Sue said... on Mar 1, 2012 at 04:38PM

“Mike,
I am so sorry that you are so bitter that you need to be disrespectful to Eddie's memory. You are speaking of a former relationship with your family, I do not need you to validate my relationship with Eddie. Obviously you feel the need to spew venom, it's unfortunate that you chose someone's passing as a place to do that. Your character is speaking for itself. I will leave you with this verse: Isaiah 54:17, No weapon formed against you shall prosper, And every tongue which rises against you in judgement You shall condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord. And their righteousness is from Me, says the Lord.
Mike in case you didn't know it's in a book called the Bible.”

20. dianne said... on Mar 2, 2012 at 10:29PM

“please what does all this matter now'Eddie is gone. for one am hurt and offended by all of this. please i beg you leave Eddie with his dignity. sue, you know in your heart the truth, you do not have to prove anything to anyone.”

21. Sue said... on Mar 3, 2012 at 01:54PM

“I want to apologize if any of the recent comments has offended anyone. That is not what Eddie would have wanted. Eddie was always larger than life and he was many wonderful things to many wonderful people. Just as Eddie has made an impression on so many lives, you also have made an endearing impression on his life. Eddie shared so many wonderful memories and he loved each and every one of you. It brought him great joy to remember all the wonderful people he met along the way. He felt privileged to be a part of your lives and was very thankful for the times he spent with you. He especially spoke with great fondness and gratitude of Jerry for helping him to get into a career that he dearly loved.”

22. Mike said... on Mar 8, 2012 at 04:01PM

“First of all Sue, I don't need you quoting scripture to me. I'v read and studied the Bible for years, When I speak about Eddie, I am not speaking ill about him, I;m just calling YOU a liar. Again, the last 22 years did not include you. I know what I;m saying is the truth and you can go on believing whatever you like. Eddie, I and his Heavenly Father know the truth and you don't speak it.”

23. Sue said... on Mar 8, 2012 at 08:05PM

“You are right about one thing our Heavenly Father does know the truth. Eddie passed away in my arms and went to his new life in his Father's arms. I was there for the last 5 years of his life. I was there for all the doctors visits, hospital stays, and everything else regarding his health and care. I am the one who settled all of his final responsibilities. I am the one who was there to hold him, pray with him, care for him and most of all love him and he loved me. I am blessed that our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ allowed me the privilege to be there with and for Eddie. I am thankful to God for all lovely times we shared and I will cherish them always. Mike I wish you peace and most of all God's abundant Grace and Mercy.”

24. dianne said... on Apr 18, 2012 at 08:57PM

“Dear Jerry i am so sorry for the loss of your very good friend Dick Clark my condolences. God bless you.”

25. Carol said... on Apr 19, 2012 at 03:02PM

“I just learned of Eddie's passing. He used to host summer dances at the Malvern tennis courts in the early 60's. I remember dancing with him on stage and how happy he always was. He told me to remember to smile when I danced and not to look so serious. I always remembered after that. I'm sorry for all of his friends and family for your loss. He spread a lot of joy to a lot of people.”

26. Carole said... on Oct 28, 2012 at 10:21PM

“Does anyone know what happened to Bobby? We dated for a year or so back in '70. I think I still have some old pictures of him around here somewhere!”

27. Anonymous said... on Oct 31, 2012 at 11:13AM

“Sorry to say that Bobby passed away a few years ago.”

28. Gary Hendler said... on Nov 7, 2012 at 11:34PM

“Eddie and I were close friends especially during the Steel Pier days. What did he die from. I would really like to know”

29. Tom Melchiorre said... on Dec 1, 2012 at 10:42PM

“I first met Eddie ,I believe it was in 1962, at Starlight Ballroom in Wildwood. Eddie was a great dancer. Eddie was a very nice guy. I laughed to myself at a comment by an x dancer saying Eddie told her to smile and not look so serious when she danced, that is the Eddie that I remember.
Eddie was one of the best dancers at all the dances but more than anything he was a very kind and friendly "yon teen". His brother was also a great dancer , may they both rest in peace. Tom Melchiorre”

30. Anonymous said... on Jan 3, 2013 at 07:39PM

“You were a great dancer yourself,Sue. If you are Sue McDowell,remember you well. We danced a couple of times at National Park and Woodbury Heights. You showed me 'The Duck' and you did 'Wagner Walk' so smooth,thanks. Geez-seems like a million years, but memories are vivid 'cause they were good youthful moments,i guess.I think i remember sharing 'study hall' with you at W.Deptford h.s.and though you probably would like to forget ,I could never forget the awesome fight between you and Judy Edwards behind the school.wow.take care.”

31. Anonymous said... on May 17, 2014 at 08:50AM

“I have often wondered about Robert Nixon.....we also knew him
as Matt Kincade when he was a DJ. I have a close friend who
worked at the Philly Airport. He told me that Robert Nixon became
a Private Detective and worked with ICE. He would take people to
the airport and "assist them" in leaving the United States. We are
not talking about young people who "extended" their stay here.
We're talking about convicted criminals who were being deported.
Robert Nixon was on that team to assist with this operation.
I was very surprised that he has died, a young man, who I'm
told lived with his sister somewhere in Northeast Philadelphia.
Does anyone know more about how and when he passed away ?”

32. Carol said... on Jul 13, 2014 at 03:27PM

“I was ten years old in '62 and I have many great memories of watching Eddie on Steele Pier and if my memory serves me correct, as a young teenager in high school he also visited the Bonner mixer in Upper Darby, Pa. I waited anxiously every week to get the latest dance moves. I can still dance for hours.....I am glad that dancing is my addiction in life....don't ever stop ....Great people... Great memories.....Great life....Thank you

Rate:
(HTML and URLs prohibited)

ACW EVENT SERIES